|Metals Recycling Facts
- Scrap has been an important export commodity from the United States for over 120 years.
- $15.7 Billion worth of scrap commodities were exported in 2007.
- Scrap metal was the 2nd largest export to China in dollar value in 2007.
- Recycling 1KG of Aluminum saves up to 6KG of bauxite, 4KG of chemical products, and most importantly 14 kwh of electricity.
- A recycled Aluminum can saves enough energy to run a television for three hours.
- If all the aluminum cans in the United States were recycled there would be 14 million fewer dustbins annually.
- Each household in the United States used approximately 600 steel cans per year.
- During Christmas time there are over 300 million cans used per week.
- The recycling rates of steel packaging is at 46%, in comparison to aluminum at just under 24%.
- Recycling one ton of steel scrap saves more than 80% of the CO2 emmisions produced when making steel from Iron ore.
- Recycling seven steel cans saves enough energy to power a 60 watt lightbulb for 26 hors.
- Every year the United States saves enough energy, by recycling steel, to supply Los Angeles with nearly a decade’s worth of electricity.
- Recycling aluminum saves 95% of the energy used to make the material from scratch. That means you can make 20 cans out of recycled material with the same amount it takes to make one can out of new material. Energy savings in 2007 were enough to light a city the size of Detroit for 8 years.
- American throw away (dispose, not recycle) enough aluminum every month to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet.
- Americans use 100 million cans per day.
- American throw away (dispose, not recycle) enough iron and steel to supply all the nation’s automakers on a continuous basis.
- A steel mill that recycles scrap reduces related water pollution, air pollutions, and mining wastes by about 70%.
- When you toss out one aluminum can you waste as much energy as if you filled the same can half full with gasoline, and just threw it on the groung.
- The 36 billion Aluminum cans landfilled last year had a scrap value of 600 million dollars..
- There are 7-8 Million vehicles that are recycled every year, auto recycling supplies the nation’s scrap industry of about 37% of its ferrous scrap proceesing, making it one of the major sources of scrap metal.
- 97% of all beverage cans are aluminum.
- North America is currently recycling 2/3 of aluminum cans, no where close to the amount we should be recycling.
- America alone, uses 80,000,000,000 aluminum cans every year.
- It takes 90 days for a beverage in an aluminum can to return to a grocer’s shelf, after collection, smelting, rolling, manufacturing, and distribution.
- Making cans from recycled aluminum cuts air related pollution by 95%.
- Everyday Americans use enough steel to run a steel a pipe line from New York to Los Angeles and back to New York.